Friday, April 21, 2006

Hola de Otavalo

Every once in a while it pours in the desert, or the moon eclipses the sun, or George Mason beats the Huskies... and about just as often, I drag my ass out of my routine and go on a real vacation.

Right now I´m in Ecuador with my buddy Zach. I arrived a couple nights ago in Quito and today we took a bus north to the town of Otavalo. The first couple days in Quito were great. I arrived at night and we went straight to the hostel. There we were greated by a bunch of european hostel workers drinking beer and hanging out. We talked about with a few of them till 11 pm and then I went out on the town with a group and Zach went to bed.

The nightlife in Quito can be really fun. We stopped by a few places, but eventually settled at a bar with some blasting salsa music where I proceeded to show my salsa skillaz and embarass the poor switz hostel host who was stupid enough to agree to dance with me. It was all in good fun though, and actually I was really the only one willing to dance. Most of the guys there were English and according to them, bars are for sitting and drinking and conversing. Salsa is for eating.

After muchos cervesas we crawled to a nearby club blasting Snoop Dog and proceeded to dance and hang out some more. We had alot of fun, but when the clock struck 3 (?) they began to close, some guy smashed a bottle over another guys head, and we caught a taxi back home.

The next day... my first day there, Zach and I walked all over town. I learned some interesting things. One, Zach is a chocolate expert. We went to a chocolate factory and he knew more than the person giving the tour! I had no idea, and he´s my best friend. Weird.

After that we ambled aimlessly for the next 6 hours or so. As the afternoon arrived it became obvious that I had developed one the worst wifebeater sunburns ever known to Suramerica. The pattern of my sunburn is quite ridiculous and zach is loving making fun of me and having me show it off to everyone.

Today we went to Otavalo for the ´best market in Suramerica´. We´ve already shopped a bit and the woven clothes and rugs are incredible.

Overall, I am really thrilled that I decided to go on this trip. I only wish I had planned to stay longer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home